Friday, November 2, 2007

Keep on Rocking (San Jose 1/2 Marathon)

(The marching band gets us pumped up)

On Sunday October 21st I had the opportunity to race in my second half marathon, The San Jose Rock and Roll 1/2 Marathon. This is the second year that San Jose has hosted the Rock and Roll 1/2 Marathon, and it has become a major event for the city (netting 3 million!).

My goal for the race was to finish in 1:30:00. By finishing in 90 minutes I would be able to tell if a 3:10:00 marathon is possible, and ultimately a Boston Marathon qualifying time!

There was much excitement at the start with the marching band playing, and various other music getting everyone pumped up! The weather was around 60 degrees, perfect for a Sunday morning run. At 8:00a.m. the gun signaled the start and Tom and I worked our way to the 1:30:00 pacer.
We followed the pacer for maybe a mile, and I felt the pace was a little slow. Tom and I agreed to pick up the pace, and continued for the rest of the race at a 6:30 pace. I felt good for most of the race, and was able to pick up the pace again at mile 9. I continued to push until the finish, finishing in 1:25:00.

This was a fun race, all of the bands and music helped push the runners to exceed their limits. Personally, this was a great race and I look forward to racing the California International Marathon on December 2nd.












1 comment:

  1. Way to go, Sean! Good luck with the Boston qualifier in Sacramento!

    ReplyDelete