Sunday, January 23, 2011

Marathon Monk Challenge Weeks 1 & 2



I have now completed 14 days of the Marathon Monk Challenge. Inspired by the Marathon Monks of Mt. Hiei, I've been leaving the watch at home with the intention of reconnecting with harmonious passion. Here is a summary of the practice so far.

1/09/2011 to 1/22/2011
Running Mileage: 92

miles walked: 19

# of Yoga Classes: 5


Refinements to the routine would be as follows:

1) Start earlier in the morning:

The first 2 weeks I've been unmotivated to get out the door early. This is going to change next week as I have an internship that starts at 9:00am. Next week, my goal is to be out the door around 5am and finished by 7am. I don't particularly enjoy running with a headlamp, and I've heard reports of Mt. Lions in Wilder Ranch State Park, but a big part of the practice is overcoming fear and discomfort.

2) More yoga:
My yoga practice took a week off last week because of family visiting, but I plan to continue to practice 3-5 days a week at Santa Cruz Yoga. If I don't do this I usually get injured.. It also helps me reconnect with my intentions.

3) Bike for recovery:
I like cruising on the bike, and it is also a good way to loosen the legs.

I'll be continuing to post updates, so stay tuned:)

2 comments:

  1. Hey Sean, I like this "marathon monk challenge" idea, especially the idea about running with "intention". I've been doing something a bit similar lately -- going for runs without my Garmin GPS (or any watch). That way you don't have to obsess over things like how fast your are running or how far you've run. You can just focus on enjoying what you are doing and being fully present. At least in theory anyway. But in practice I find myself focusing on other things like my breath-to-footstep ratio or whehter or not I can catch the mountain biker ahead of me. But hey, it was worth a shot. LOL.

    By the way,I've finally hopped on the bandwagon and started my own ultra running blog too. http://runningjohn.blogspot.com/.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice to hear from you John, I like your profile pic!

    Usually what brings me out of the moment is my dog chasing coyotes, or getting sprayed by a skunk:) On the other hand besides being obnoxious by chasing wildlife, Gordy is always present. So I try to follow his example (besides being sprayed by skunks:)

    ReplyDelete